Jose Mourinho: Romelu Lukaku 'should be untouchable in support from fans'



Jose Mourinho has told Manchester United fans that while they are free to express their disappointment with certain players, Romelu Lukaku should be "untouchable."

Mourinho said he was "disappointed" with some supporters' reaction to Lukaku during the win over Tottenham on Saturday after the Belgium international went a fifth game without scoring.

The £75 million striker, who has scored 11 goals in 15 games since arriving from Everton, is set to start against Benfica at Old Trafford on Tuesday night and the United manager insisted ahead of the tie that the 24-year-old should be immune from any criticism.

He told a news conference on Monday: "The fans are the fans and I also said that the fans pay for their tickets and are free to express themselves and say they want to express, but my job is when I feel they deserve is to protect my players.

"I think Romelu is one of the players that should be untouchable in terms of the respect of everyone.

"It's not one goal or the ball goes against the post or save by the opposition keeper that can make Romelu's contribution below the top level.

"He is playing extremely well for us and yes, I have to protect my players when I feel they deserve it and Romelu always deserves it because what he does for the team is fantastic.
Jose Mourinho: Romelu Lukaku 'should be untouchable in support from fans' Jose Mourinho: Romelu Lukaku 'should be untouchable in support from fans' Reviewed by Unknown on 3:07 AM Rating: 5

No comments